Pencil sharpeners - 1850

History of pencil sharpeners (until 1850)

German / deutsche Version

Preliminary remarks to this page (still under construction)

Due to a family background (my grandfather was for a long time owner of a small pencil sharpening machines company), I am busy with the history of pencil sharpeners and sharpening machines. In my focus is not the accumulation of as many pencil sharpeners as possible. My aim is the detailed recording of the pencil sharpener history with a special focus on the people and companies involved. In this context I also collect information that is not directly related to the pencil sharpener production. The aim is to draw a comprehensive picture of people and companies and thereby to appreciate them. Even though the page is still incomplete, it provides the most complete information in the world about the very early days of pencil sharpening.

The text material of the pages may not be used for commercial purposes (this includes explicitly the sale of pencil sharpeners and sharpening machines on auction platforms, such as ebay). This also applies to the use of images, a use of images must be agreed with me in advance.

I am very pleased about comments to my work (see "Contact") or in my guestbook. It would be particularly nice if you had further information on the page content, even if it seems only insignificant.


For a long time, pencils were sharpened with knives without any mechanical aids, in particular using so-called penknives (singular penknife), which were often stored together with the writing instrument in pencil boxes.

The penknives are small, very sharp and usually attached in a booklet blades. They have been used for a long time to point the quill pens. Depending on the cut (straight, oblique, narrow or wide), the typeface changed.

In English-speaking countries, they were already mentioned in texts in the 17th century. In French they were called "canif". Here is an excerpt of a French-English dictionary from 1632:

In an English dictionary of 1766 the use of penknifes in the production of white chalk sticks was mentioned:

In a sales announcement for "Dressing cases" for the Indian Army from a British newspaper in 1858, among other things, a penknife is mentioned as a component part:


1822 - C. A. Boucher (France)

In 1822 in the french book Annales de l'industrie nationale et étrangère, ou Mercure technologique : recueil de mémoires sur les arts et métiers, les manufactures, le commerce, l'industrie, l'agriculture, etc was presented in detail the invention of the Frenchman C. A. Boucher about devices for sharpening pencils. It is the oldest reference to pencil sharpening equipment and the first detectable use of the word "taille-crayon" in the French language. The device of Mr. Boucher was technically sensible and functional. His idea was also internationally known and recognized, as shown by corresponding reports in German literature at this time.  But Mr. C. A. Boucher has not applied a patent for his pencil sharpener. So C. A. Boucher can be considered as the inventor of the pencil sharpener, but not as the owner of the oldest patent.

About C. A. Boucher

Boucher was a captain in the French military and battalion chief at the Engineer Corps (in French, his position was named "capitaine, chief of battalion ingénieur-géographe, chevalier de la Légion-d'Honneur"). In a kind of address book of Paris, he is noted in 1817 as follows:

"Boucher, capitaine de première classe au corps des ingénieurs-géographes, Rue de l`Université 73"

Also in 1820 and 1827 there is a record under this address, in 1833 he seems to have lived at Rue St. Guillaume 30. Boucher had a career in the business of geographical maps. At that time various drawings, like maps were copied true to scale with the help of so-called "pantographs", although reductions or enlargements were possible. Boucher had patented such an apparatus.

Nothing else is known about the person of Boucher, also because so far his first names are unknown.

Pencil sharpener from Boucher

His pencil sharpening invention is (also) intended for use with the pantograph. Here it is important that the pen - guided by the mechanism - always draws exact lines and that the point placed on the paper always remains exactly in the center of the pen.

In the following a more detailed description from an Austrian book from 1823 (in German, 1 - 2 lines are missing between the text passages):

Boucher Vorrichtung zum Bleistiftspitzen

Boucher designed his pencil sharpener device (also) for use in the pantograph. In the following further patent illustrations, which are also labeled accordingly with "Taille-crayon de M. Boucher à l´usage de Pantographes":

In a German technique encyclopedia from the year 1830 can be read about the pencil sharpener:

"An instrument invented by Boucher for sharpening pencils would be of importance in some cases, for example in larger institutions where much is drawn, and also in the use of the pantograph where it is necessary for the point of the pencil to be exactly in the axis of drawing. But since the instrument is rather complex and expensive, may be subject to frequent repairs, even the file attached to it soon fill with chips during the processing of the wood and will act only slowly, so it can only be referenced to the description and drawing... "

Here one expresses something skeptical about the practical application of the invention proposal. In fact, it may not have been implemented in a commercially distributed device.

In the German book Dreihundert Entdekungen und Beobachtungen in der Färberei, dem farbigen Druk und der Farben-Bereitung from 1831 can be read about his invention:

"Boucher gab einen Bleistiftschneider an, der im Wesentlichen aus einer in einem Gestelle beweglichen Feile besteht, auf der der Bleistift vollkommen gleich gespitzt wird".

It could be that a use for the actually desired application in pantographs - perhaps only in the French army - has been done. Consequently, none of the built devices had survived in the present time.

Further developments by Boucher

Boucher invented a device what he called "Coordonograph".

In an english source could be found the following refenrece: "machine for a similar purpose, called a Coordonograph, was some years ago invented by Boucher, an officer of engineers. This latter, however, gave only the requisite points, which were afterwards united by lines so as to complete the outline of the object."

In 1827 he developed another apparatus for drawing panoramas. It was called "Panotrace".

Here is a drawing:


Insertion 1822 -  "Mechanical pencil"  by  Isaak Hawkins and Sampson Mordan (England)

On December 20, 1822, the Englishmen John Isaak Hawkins and Sampson Mordan applied a patent in England for a mechanical pencil, in which  in a case made of wood or another material a thin lead is moveable inserted and simply pushed forward when it is consumed. This is often referred to in English as "ever pointed pencil" or "mechanical pencil". Thus, the sharpening would be effectively obsolete.

Here is a text about the patent application:

"John Isaac Hawkins, of Pentonville, Civil Engineer, and Sampson Mordan, of Union Street, City Road, Portable Pen Maker for improvements of pencil holders, or port crayons, and on pens, for the purpose of facilitating writing and drawing by rendering the frequent cutting or menting of the points or nibs unnecessary - Sealed December 20, 1822"

The patent may have been valid until 1838. In 1832 we read in a German book:

"Improved lead pencil (Pencil tube, drawing pen), after the invention of I. Hawkins and Sampson Mordan. Although there are several types of lead feathers in which the pencil held by them can be pushed forward and backward at will, so does the Facility specified by Hawkins and Mordan ... "

Here it is communicated that there must have been similar pens before.

Sampson Mordan was born in 1790 and was a silversmith. He studied with/under Joseph Bramah, a locksmith and considerable inventor. Mordan founded his own business in 1815. In 1823 Mordan bought patent rights of Hawkins, announced on 9 June 1823 his first brand SM. A year later, he entered into a partnership with affluent stationer Gabriel Riddle and registered a new SM.GR brand (by Sampson Mordan and Gabriel Riddle) after the initials of both names). The pen was then sold under this brand. The company address was 22 Castle Street, Finsbury in London. In 1833, the company is said to have had about 50 employees. On December 20, 1836, the partnership with Riddle was solved and Mordan continued to produce the pencils under the company "S. MORDAN & CO".

Sampson Mordan was married to Elizabeth and they had 6 children: Elizabeth (born 1810), Sampson junior (1814), Francis (1817), Augustus (1820), Charles (1822), Emma (1824). He died on April 9, 1843, but his business was continued by his sons Sampson (junior) and Augustus and existed until 1941, when a German bombing raid in London extinguished the company.

Incidentally, the company S. Mordan & Co will later encounter us as a pencil sharpener seller.

John Isaac Hawkins (1772-1855) was an English mechanical engineer, entrepreneur, inventor and patent agent - a very creative personality of his time. He was born on March 14, 1772 in Taunton (Somerset, England). Around 1790 he went to the USA and studied amongst other things medicine. Here he invented the pianino (upright piano) in 1800. The following instrument from the year 1801 should come from him.

Three years later, he patented a pantograph, which he called "Polygraph". Perhaps he came across the problem of pencil sharpening in this context as well as Boucher.

In 1803 he returned to England and founded a sugar refinery in London. He also opened a museum for "useful mechanical inventions". He not only registered the mechanical pencil in 1822, but also introduced the use of the hard metal iridium in pens, dealt also successfully with waterproof cement and is considered the inventor of the pianino / upright piano.

In 1848 he moved back to the US, where he died on June 28, 1855 in Elizabeth Town (New Jersey).


1825 - Essex´s pencil pointer

In the British newspaper Morning Chronicle appeared on January 10, 1825 the following ad:

This is also the oldest known use of the term "pencil pointer" in the English-speaking world.

On 1th7 and 20th February of the same year a similar advertisement appeared in the London Courier and Evening Gazette and the London Observer. A small pencil sharpener is advertised, with which one can sharpen pencils better than with a knife. According to the text it is offered by Smith and Warner (Piccadilly) and Ackermann (Strand), as well as by all distributors of writing materials and all sellers of pencils! So it is guaranteed that the sharpener was really made. However, so far missing any further reference to the device. There is no patent, no other description or drawing. So it would probably be difficult to associate a still-existing object to this pencil sharpener.


1828 - Bernard Lassimone (France)

Bernard Lassimone (sometimes also written Lassimonne) from Limoges (Haute-Vienne Department) applied for a pencil sharpener patent in France on August 7, 1828 ("instrument appelé par l'auteur taille-crayon"), which was published on October 20 of the same year.

Bernard Lassimone

He was probably a mathematician (more precisely for geometry).  Lassimone taught at the  "Ecole gratuite de dessin, instituée par la Société d'Agriculture, Sciences et Arts de Limoges, pour la classe industrielle". I translate this with "Free School of Design, from the Limoges Society for Agriculture, Science and Art, founded for the industry". The name of the school is also given as"Ecoles gratuites de Dessin, de Géometrie et de Méchanique"". He was there professor of design and also director of this school, at least since 1825.

The school was located Rue Pont-Hérisson. Here is an excerpt from an address book of Limoges from the year 1830:

He lived at this time Rue Lansecot (also with "Rue bas Lansecot" indicated). Here Lassimonne (or his wife / family members) also ran a short / haberdashery business. This is also confirmed for the year 1835.

Here is an excerpt from a school print from 1834, which shows that he was the director of the design school:

In a further excerpt of a print from the year 1839, which proves that he was still in the school this year (certainly still in 1842, probably also in 1846):

Here is a little picture of him in later years:

The pencil sharpener by Lassimonne

The patent application was named as follows in a French source from the year 1829:

"Le sieur Lassimone (Bernard), géomètre, demeurant à Limoges, département de la Haute- Vienne, auquel il a été délivré, le 20 octobre dernier, le certificat de sa demande d´un brevet d´ínvention de cinq ans pour un instrument qu´il appelle taille-crayon."

The validity of the patent was thus 5 years.

Here a 1836 published, very detailed German description of the patent with drawings:

Lassimone Bleistiftspitzer Zeichnung pencil sharpener taille-crayon

By advertising in a French newspaper, we also know that the device was actually sold, here an advertisement from February 17, 1829:

A little later on December 24, 1829 the following text:

The price was at least 7 Francs 50 Centimes. The newspaper issue in December also quoted prizes of 9, 15, 20, 25 and 30 francs. Apparently there were different versions, probably also real luxury variants, which justified the high price. The sharpeners were sold by Binant, a Parisian painter supplies dealer with address Rue de Clery, No. 7.

Here a text from a Parisian address book from 1833:

Also in 1837 and even in the years 1846/1847 this notice can be found in address book - so the Lassimonne apparatus was probably still sold. 1850 the note is no longer to be found. Binant is discussed in detail in the following text because he also had a pencil sharpening patent.


1829 - Binant (Frankreich)

In 1829 (probably June), a Mr.  Binant (sometimes also Binaut written) filed a patent for a pencil sharpener in France. Unfortunately we do not know his first name.

He also sold the pencil sharpening devices of the Lassimonne patent at that time (see above), so his patent may be related to this. In a French journal is written in 1829:

Binant Bleistiftspitzer  taille-crayon pencil sharpener

In a German newspaper from that time, this is mentioned as follows:

"Ein Hr. Binaut ließ sich ein Patent auf einen Bleistift-Schneider ertheilen (Taille-crayon), der .... sehr gelobt, aber nicht beschrieben wird. Er wird vorzüglich für Damen empfohlen und gewahrt den Vortheil, daß die Finger nicht beschmuzt werden. Hr. Binaut wohnt zu Paris rue de Cléry N. 7. Unsere Nürnberger sollen sich Exemplare davon aus Paris kommen lassen, und sie für Bayern verfertigen".

Binant ran a shop for painting / painting materials / "stationery" in Paris under the address Rue de Cléry 7 (partly also Cléry No. 5) in the city district of Montmartre.

Here are address book records from the year 1833:

Here are pictures that show the entrance to the house and the front of the houses of Rue de Cléry 5/7 in modern times, although it is unclear whether it really is still the house:

The business / company seems to have existed since at least 1822. They were particularly interested in painting supplies for artists who also exhibited paintings in the shop. In the following the cover page of a sales catalog of Binant from the year 1828 offering a lot of watercolors, miniatures a. o. and a detail of the catalog (still without pencil sharpener).

Binant probably also made some things themselves, such as picture frames. The following French advertisement is from 1847:

The Binant´s were very active in the field of canvas production for painting purposes. So you can often find this name on canvases, for or  example "Ernest Binant". On February 13, 1861 Louis Alfred Binant, canvas manufacturer, Paris, Rue Rochechouart No. 70 (also in the Montmartre area), in France, patented a process for canvas production for painting. He probably ran the business, because in 1867 there is a recording for L. A. Binant, Rue Clery 5.

In 1868 in an English source was written about the canvases of Binant:

About the sharpener nothing else is known, after all, is mentioned in a kind of painting accessories catalog in the years 1836, 1839 and 1845, that Binant sells pencil sharpeners.


1829 - Charles Balthazar Julien Fevret de Saint-Mémin (Frankreich)

In 1829, Fevret de Saint-Menin proposed an improved pantograph, which also contained some sort of pencil sharpening mechanism.

Charles Balthazar Julien Fevret de Saint-Mémin was born on 12 March 1770 in Dijon / France. His parents were Benigne Charles Fevret and Victoire Marie de Motmans, Saint-Memin. Because of the French Revolution, the family went to Switzerland and then in 1793 to the United States. There, Fevret de Saint-Menin painted many portraits, with important personalities, such as presidents were portrayed. Gilles-Louis Chrétien (1754-1811) invented in 1786 in Versailles both the method and the term "Physionotrace" (see here). Fevret often used this special technique of working with a pantograph. In 1914 he returned from America and worked in Dijon as director of the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Dijon until the end of his life. He died in his hometown on June 23, 1852.

Further information on the sharpening device or a drawing are not yet available.


1830 - Joseph Body (Belgium)

At a Belgian exhibition of national industry in July 1830 in Brussels, Joseph Body (Brussels) exhibited two pencil sharpeners, here excerpts from the catalog:

These are 2 sharpeners for graphic artist / draftsman. Whether the sharpener has ever been made or how it is actually designed, is not known.

Jean Joseph Body is probably himself a painter / draftsman. He was born on May 1, 1799 in the Belgian city of Liege as a child of Jean Joseph Body and Marie George. He went to Brussels in 1923 and was a professor there. In 1932 he married Jeanne Marie Antoine. They had the following children: Marie Louise Joséphine (1832 - 1901), Michel Henri Joseph (1834 - 1904), Albin Joseph (1836 - 1916), Octave (1839 - 1902), Joseph Victor (born 1842) und Marie Léontine (b. 1844). On August 7, 1873, he died in his native city.


1833 - Robert Burton Cooper and George Frederick Eckstein (England)

On October 12, 1833, a patent for a pencil sharpening device was granted in England:

"Robert Burton Cooper, of Battersea Fields, in the County of Surrey, Esquire, and George Frederick Eckstein, Holborn, in the County of Middlesex, Ironmonger, for an instrument or apparatus for pointing pencils, and certain other purposes."

The validity is given to (only) 6 months.

Here is an English text for this device with a drawing from 1837:

Cooper eckstein Styloxynon Bleistiftspitzer

Robert Burton Cooper und George Frederick Eckstein called their pencil sharpener "Styloxynon". It is nothing more than a kind of grinding box, where the grinding surfaces formed by file, which are installed at right angles. The material used to hold the files is called rosewood in the text. It is recommended to pre-work the pin to be sharpened with a knife before using the device

In a German-language journal from the year 1835 the device is described exactly:

Cooper Eckstein Bleistiftspitzer Beschreibung

The patent, which I do not have in the original text, is obviously quite broadly worded. As described in this text, a variant with two cylinders was mentioned, which you should then even be able to turn to get fresh file surfaces. The housing can be made of many different materials.

Here is a test evaluation from an English source from May 1834:

Eckstein initially sold the pencil pointer box in his company Eckstein and Son. The following advertisement from the London Morning Post promotes the Styloxynon and names (future) sources of supply:

The text is dated January 14, 1834. We learn that the sale is scheduled to begin two days later on January 16 at  "Eckstein and Son´s Kitchen Range, Stove Grate and Furnishing Ironmengery Warehouse, No. 13, High Holborn, near Gray´s Inn".

Here are two more similar advertisements from English newspapers in 1834:

The Styloxynon was advertised in England in the coming years, provable until March 1849. In 1834, S. Mordan & Co advertises with the following text:"COOPER  & ECKSTEIN`S PATENT STYLOXYNON or PENCIL POINTER. This useful instrument will quickly produce a most delicate point to any description of Pencil or Chalks."

The following drawings from the advertisement obviously show 2 variants of Styloxynon:

Cooper Eckstein Styloxynon erbungW

A year later, a large advertisement was published by S. Mordan & Co, in which also the Styloxynon is mentioned and presented:

Also G. Riddle, the former companion of Mordan sold the Styloxynon as the following ads from the years 1837 and 1838 show:

From this ad, published in The Derby Mercur we learn that G. Riddle has left the company of S. Mordan & Co  and now offers many articles under his own name, including "Patent Styloxynons" / "pencil-pointers". It is reported that articles are marked "Patent, G. Riddle, London". It seems, that he has an own manufactury on Blackfriars Road, # 172 in London.

After 1838, the advertising for the Styloxynon stops abruptly.

Now something to the biography and work of G. F. Eckstein, although it is not entirely certain that all the data really belong to his person.

About George Frederick Eckstein

George Frederick Eckstein was probably born on Oct. 28, 1783 as one of 12 children of his parents George Paul Eckstein (1739 - 1828, with about 89 years!) and Ann Eckstein, born Mitchel (died 1804). He was married to Ann Eckstein, b. Key. The

Usually he lived in St. Andrew, a parish that included areas of London and Holborn. In 1813 there is a message about a bankruptcy of him. In this circumstance his occupation was described with blacksmith and dealer and his address with Gray's Inn Lane (County Middlesex). According to a report published in December 1814,a dividend was paid to the borrowers of Eckstein. Notes from the years 1826 and 1829 suggest an address Gray's Inn Lane # 83, St. Andrews, Holborn. This Gray's Inn Lane was named after 1850 as Gray's Inn Road and was in the northern part of Pancras, in the southern part to Holborn. In 1838 the address is given as High Holborn 13.

There was also a company Eckstein and Son, which he probably operated with his oldest son George Paul Eckstein, eponymous with his above-mentioned grandfather. This son lived from August 29, 1809 to April 16, 1871. The entrepreneurial fellowship with him ended on August 1, 1838, later George Frederick led the company alone.

How did it look in industrial England in this time? We do not know exactly, but the following 3 pictures give an impression, but from a later time:


                            Gray`s Inn Lane, drawing from 1859                                          Gray`s Inn Lane, photography 19. century

High Holborn, photography 1878

Eckstein had other patent applications in England. There could be found a reference to a patent of May, 1821 "George Frederick Eckstein, iron merchant, of High Holborn in Middlesex, on certain improvements to cooking apparatus." Later, in April 1831, another was registered: "Thomas Gaunt, gentleman in Chapman Street, Islington, in the county, Middlesex and George Frederick Eckstein, furnace manufacturer in Holborn, in the same county: on improvements to roasting for ovens. " In fact, he was probably a not unknown ironworker at that time, so it was spoken from the "Eckstein oven".

G. F. Eckstein died in 1855 or according to another source on the 20th of 1859, in the same month as his wife.

About Robert Burton Cooper

Now something biographical about Robert Burton Cooper. 

The references to him begin in November 1825 with a note that he operated together with Victor Saintmare, a distillery at Princes Street, Lambeth, a district of London. On April 28, 1829, however, he went bankrupt, it appeared in British newspapers messages such as the following:

In May, exactly two years later, in 1831, there is a declaration of a dividend under his name and address.

He lived in Sleafore-Place, then Sydenham-Grove, Norwood, both in Surrey. In 1837 he lived at Lodge Road, St John's Wood Road, Regent's Park, Middlesex.

He also had other patents in England as the following notes from German periodicals of his time prove:

Patent of March 23, 1821: "Robert Burton Cooper, Strand, Middlesex: for improvements, or a substitute for stoppers and lids, as they are needed for bottles, smoke and snuff boxes, inkwells, and various other items."

Patent of May 18, 1831 (Validity 6 months): "Robert Burton Cooper, Esq. Of Battersea Fields, in the county of Surry on improvements of taps for liquids and gas types.

In addition to the Styloxynon, in particular this patent from 1831 was marketed, as the following ad shows:

S. Mordan & Co produced and sold "COOPER'S PATENT SCENT-BOTTLES" for him.

In spite of his inventions, which were also partially marketed, there is a kind of bankruptcy declaration in October 1837. It is informed that Cooper has no activity. He does not seem to have much benefit from his invention.

In 1846 the following small advertisement for the Styloxynon can be found in an Austrian source:

However, whether this really meant the simple device of Cooper & Eckstein is not entirely certain.

Whether it really is the simple device of Cooper & Eckstein, is not very sure. Perhaps the word Styloxynon was more a synonym for such pencil sharpeners. But that shows at least that this pencil sharpener had an interregional  importance. However, we learn from the text that (these) pencil sharpeners were frequently used in Vienna, so that a few years before the spread of the simple American handheld sharpener sharpening devices were quite common there.

Between April 1848 and March 1849 the Styloxynon is still advertised in an English newspaper:

Finally, the Styloxynon was offered in a Sydney newspaper in Australia in January 1860:

Despite the wrong spelling, the reference to the Styloxynon (or a fake version) is obvious.


1833 - François Joseph Lahausse (France)

On 9 May 1833, François Joseph Lahausse, resident of Rue Saint-Honoré 293, Paris, filed a patent for a pencil sharpener (French title "instrument propre à tailler les crayons"), which was published on 30 June this year (valid for 5 years). On 19 June 1833 he applied for a supplementary patent (published on 14 September 1833, also for 5 years). Both patents, however, already extinguished on October 24, 1836.

Here are the drawings from the French patent:

In a German polytechnic journal from 1835 is written in detail about the device:

At the beginning of the text, another existing sharpener with two files standing at a suitable angle to each other is mentioned. Obviously, this is the device from Cooper und Eckstein. Furthermore, it is written in the text:

"The simplest instruments of this kind cost only one franc. The composite variant, which consist of three files and a penknife blade, cost 3 francs".

An Austrian source from 1835 contains the following text:

!! current end of English version of this page, the following content is in German

Hier wird geschrieben, dass man das Instrument in Paris kaufen kann und es werden die gleichen Preise genannt: in der einfachen Version ein Frank, in einer aus 2 bis 3 Feilen zusammengesetzten Version und mit zusätzlicher Federmesserklinge bis 3 Franken.

Lahausse war Klavierstimmer und beschäftigte sich auch mit Klaviertechnik. Am 2. Juli 1836 meldete er ein entsprechendes Patent "mécanisme applicable à toute espèce de pianos" an.

"Lahausse F. J., in Paris rue du Faub.-Poissonnière, No. 1, den 26. Novbr., für 5 Jahre: auf einen auf alle Arten von Pianos anwendbaren Mechanismus, womit deren Widerstand so abgeändert werden kann, daß er den schwächsten und kräftigsten Händen sich anpaßt, und mit dessen Hülse man daher auch ein und dasselbe Instrument sowohl zu Studien als zu Produktionen für Kinder und Erwachsene benuzen kann."

Das Patent wurde am 26. November herausgegeben und am 25. September 1839 wieder gelöscht. Als Adresse wird im Patent  "Rue du Faubourg Poissonnière Nr. 1" angegeben. Im Adressbuch von 1833 findet sich für den offensichtlich sehr seltenen Namen Lahausse allerdings der Eintrag mit "h garni, Reue Petite-St-Roch, 18". "h garni" steht hier für ein "hotel Garni" in Saint-Roch.

1836 fand in der Orangerie der Tuileries eine Ausstellung der Akademie der Industrie statt, wo die Mitglieder ihre Angebote/Entwicklungen präsentierten:

Lahausse nahm daran teil und zwar mit seinen Neuerungen am Piano und dem Bleistiftspitzer. Hier folgende französische Information (teilweise schlecht zu lesen):

In einer Druckschrift aus dem Jahre 1839 findet man folgende Information "Lahausse (fabric. de taille-crayons, d`un noveau genre) rue Poissonnéire, 31". Dies lässt darauf schließen, dass Lahausse seine Maschinen selbst hergestellt und noch 1839 verkauft hat. Die obige deutschsprachige Schilderung beweist, daß solche Spitzvorrichtungen tatsächlich auch verkauft worden sind.


1835 - Franz Theyer (Österreich)

Am 23. April 1835 erhielt Franz Theyer, Wien, in Österreich ein Privileg auf ein Instrument zum Bleistiftspitzen:

"Franz Theyer, Prokuraführer bei Martin Theyer, bürgerlicher Handelsma

nn zur Stadt Nürnberg, in Wien (Stadt, Nr. 905) ; auf die Erfindung, mittelst eines Instrumentes das Schneiden, Schärfen und Spitzen der Bleistifte und Zeichenkreide leicht, sicher, einfach und besonders schön keilförmig gespitzt zu bewerkstelligen, ohne sich mit dem dabei abfallenden Reißblei oder der Kreide zu beschmutzen, welche Erfindung zur mehreren Bequemlichkeit und beliebigeren Anschaffung in zweierlei Gestalten dargestellt werden kann."

Im folgenden ein Auszug aus einem Buch von 1841, wo die Erfindung beschrieben wird:

Nach seiner Gültigkeit von nur zwei Jahren, also 1837 erlosch es wieder.

Kurz nach der Anmeldung des Patentes im Juni 1835 wurde in einer Wiener Zeitung Werbung für die Spitzvorrichtung gemacht:

Die gleiche Annonce erschien auch ein Jahr später. Die kleine Spitzmaschine wurde also tatsächlich auch von ihm verkauft!

Die Theyers hatten damals bereits eine Tradition, der Vater von Martin Theyer, Jacob Michael Theyer war auch geschäftlich aktiv.

In den alten Schriften aus der damaligen Zeit taucht der Begriff "Nürnberger" auf. Bereits im 17. Jahrhundert gab es den Spruch "Nürnberger Tand geht durch alle Land". Gemeint waren damit allerlei kleine Waren, häufig aus Metall. Der Begriff "Nürnberger Hand" stand auch noch im 19. Jahrhundert für Handwerkserzeugnisse aus der Region.

In einem Buch über Wien aus dem Jahr 1787 gibt es bei der Beschreibung der Geschäftstätigkeiten folgende Kategorie:

Hier wird Jacob Michael Theyer in der "Karnerstraße in der Stadt Nürnberg, Nr. 937" genannt. Bereits 1733 soll er dort an der Kärntner Straße, Ecke Weihburggasse, ein Papier- und Schreibwarengeschäft eröffnet haben.

1791 steht dann im Wiener Handelstands-Kalender unter der Rubrik "in englischen, französischen, dann Nürnberger und erbländischen Stahl- und andern Kramereiwaaren"  "Theyer Herr, Jakob Michael, den der Stadt Nürnberg in der Kärntnerstraße Nr. 937". 1796 ist Jacob Michael Theyer unter den "Nürnbergerwaarenhändler" aufgeführt (Kärntnerstraße 961). In einem Handelstandskalender für das Jahr 1799 werden dann er und erstmals auch Martin Theyer genannt.

In einem Auskunftsbuch der Haupt- und Residenzstadt Wien gültig für das Jahr 1803 heißt es unter der Rubrik "Nürnberger Waarenhändler":

"Hr. Jacob Michael Theyer unter der Firma Jacob Michael Theyer und Sohn, zur Stadt Nürnberg in der Kärntnerstraße 961. In der Handlungs-Societät ist sein Hr. Sohn Martin Theyer, der auch die Firma führt."

Eine spätere Notiz aus dem Jahr 1837 informiert über die Fa. Theyer:

"Theyer Martin, unter der Fa. Theyer & Sohn, welche auch sein Sohn Herr Franz Theyer als öffentlicher Gesellschaftler führt in der Kärnthnerstraße an der Ecke der Weihburggasse zur Stadt Nürnberg Nr. 905, mit allen Gattungen Schreib- und Zeichenpapieren und Mahlergeräthschaften". Woanders wird auch in den 1840er Jahren bestätigt, dass er dort Inhaber eines Schreib- und Malerbedarfsgeschäfts "Zur Stadt Nürnberg" war.

Franz Theyer beschäftigte sich auch mit einer Reihe anderer Dinge, so bekam er 1836 ein weiteres, zweijähriges Privileg:


"Die zur Photographie auf Papier nöthigen chemischen Präparate von Joseph Theyer , bürgerlichen Apotheker in Wien erzeugt, und zum unmittelbaren Gebrauch vorgerichtet, können von Franz Theyer, Stadt, Kärntnerstraße, zur Stadt Nürnberg, bezogen werden".

1852 findet man diese kurze Info in einer Wiener Zeitung:

Es bleibt aber offen, ob das noch die früher verkaufte oder eine weiterentwickelte oder auch eine fremde Apparatur war.

Franz Seraphin Theyer wurde am 17. 9. 1809 in Wien geboren. Er besuchte 1823 - 25 die Realschule des polytechnischen Institutes und trat 1825 in die dortige kommerzielle Abteilung ein. Danach absolvierte er eine Lehre bei seinem Vater und sammelte Erfahrungen in Deutschland, Frankreich und England. 1835 trat Theyer als Teilhaber in das Unternehmen ein und übernahm 1846 allein die Verantwortung.

Er war verheiratet mit Maria geb. Tschida (1814–1877). Sie hatten fünf Kinder: Maria (1839-1886), Gregor (geb. 1841), Theodor (1842–1905), Josef (1849–1871) und Leopold (geb. 14. Oktober 1851 in Wien, gest. 7. Juli 1937 n Graz / Steiermark).

Die einzige Tochter Maria heirate Eduard Hardtmuth (Kaufmann) aus der bekannten Unternehmerfamilie Hardtmuth (Koh-I-Noor-Bleistift). Theodor gründete 1864 mit Franz Hardtmuth, dem Chef der Bleistiftfabrik L. & C. Hardtmuth, Budweis (České Budějovice), die Fa. Theyer & Hardtmuth in Wien zum Vertrieb von Bleistiften und zur Herstellung von geprägtem Briefpapier.

Franz Theyer war Ritter des Franz-Josephs-Ordens und Besitzer des Goldenen Verdienstkreuzes mit der Krone.

Im Jahresbericht des Frauen-Wohlthätigkeits-Vereines in Wien aus dem Jahr 1850 erfährt man, dass Frau Maria Theyer und ihr Ehemann Franz Theyer sich um die Einrichtung eines Spitals für "verwundete Krieger" in schöner Lage erfolgreich bemühten.

"Dieses Haus Nr. 228 war kaum vollendet, als es die Aufmerkfamkeit der Frau Maria Theyer und ihres Gatten des Herrn Franz Theyer auf sich zog. Die schöne und freie Lage des Hauses nebst dem geräumigen Garten. Seine bequeme Nähe ..."

Franz Theyer starb am 17. August 1871. Hier die Todesannonce in einer Wiener Zeitung:

Nach 273 (!!) Jahren Firmengeschichte wurde das Geschäft 2006 gegen einen einstelligen Millionenbetrag an den Tiroler Kristall-Konzern Swarovski verkauft, weil bei einem Firmennachfolger eine nicht zu erwirtschaftende Mieterhöhung gedroht hatte. Das ist sehr schade! _________________________________________________________________________________________________

1842 - Claude Mayet (Frankreich)

Am 7. Oktober 1842 meldete ein Herr Claude Mayet, passage Véro-Dodat, 24, Paris ein Patent zu einer Vorrichtung zum Bleistiftspitzen an, was dann am 2. Dezember 1842 veröffentlicht wurde (5 Jahre Gültigkeit).  Mit Datum 21. Mai 1845  wurde das Patent gelöscht.

Im folgenden nun die französische Patentbeschreibung aus einem Buch von 1845:

Leider liegen mir die genannten Abbildungen nicht vor. Im Folgenden aber die Abbildungen aus dem Originalpatent:

Es ist nicht bekannt, ob die Vorrichtung jemals gebaut und verkauft wurde.

Bereits am 5. Januar 1842 meldete Mayet auch ein Patent "outil propre au nettoyage des peignes" zu einer Vorrichtung zum Reinigen von Kämmen an (Veröffentlichung 4. März 1842, Löschung 28. November 1844).

Er arbeitete wahrscheinlich als Messerschmied.  Im Jahr 1839 erhielt Herr Mayet-Vallon bei einer Industrieausstellung in Paris eine Bronzemedaille.

Unter der Adresse "Passage Véro-Dodat, 24" bestand wahrscheinlich lange Zeit (Hinweise für die Jahre 1827 und etwa 1896) eine Besteck- oder Messerfabrikation. Unter dieser Adresse (teilweise aber auch unter Nr. 219) ist in französischen Adressbüchern eine "Coutellerie" eingetragen. Inhaber war längere Zeit ein Herr Evras, dessen Beruf auch als Messerschmied angegeben wird und der am 06.10.1849, 11.01. und 13.09.1853 jeweils ein Patent anmeldete. Die Passage wurde später als Galerie bezeichnet und besteht so noch heute. Sie wurde 1826 eingerichtet und schaffte eine kurze Verbindung zwischen Les Halles und Palais-Royal. Benannt ist sie nach den Metzgern Vero und Dodat und war eine der ersten Pariser Straßen, die mit Gaslichtern ausgestattet wurde.

Galerie Véro-Dodat in den heutigen Tagen


? 1844 - Pierre (?)  Coursier (Frankreich)

6. April 1839: Passage de l´Industrie No. 5, Faubourg Saint-Martin Paris

1860/ : Rue de la Pépinière, n° 33, à Tours


1845 - Louis Nicolle (Frankreich)

Am 4. März 1845 meldete Louis Nicolle (manchmal auch "Nicole" geschrieben", Paris, Rue des Juifs - also Straße der Juden, Nr 1 oder auch 11  ein Patent mit dem Titel "Porte crayon dit taille-crayon" (Gültigkeit 15 Jahre, veröffentlicht 03.05.1845). Es handelt sich also um einen Bleistifthalter mit Anspitzer.

Zusatzpatente zu diesem Patent wurden von Nicolle später am 17. Mai 1845 und am 17. April 1846 angemeldet. Bei dem letzteren wird seine Berufsbezeichnung mit "bijoutier", also Schmuckverkäufer angegeben.

Hier eine kurze, wenn leider auch nur französische Beschreibung:

Die folgende Abbildung zeigt die Zeichnungen aus dem Originalpatent.

Und hier noch die kleine Zeichnung aus dem 2. Zusatzpatent von 1846:

Am 10. Dezember 1845 meldete ein gewisser Moses Poole in England ein Patent mit dem Titel "Improvements in apparatus to be used in drawing or marking". Moses Poole war als Patentanwalt auf der Searle Street, Lincolns-Inn, County of Middlesex tätig, Der Beruf wird nur als "Gentleman" angegeben. Poole war 1790 in St Clement Danes (London) als Sohn von James Poole und Elizabeth nee Blundell geboren wurden.

Vom Titel her scheint das Patent eher nichts mit dem Bleistiftspitzen zu tun zu haben, auch erfahren wir den wahren Patentinhaber des obengenannten Patentes nicht. Sehr aufschlußreich ist aber ein Beitrag in einem englischen Werk aus dieser Zeit, siehe folgende Abbildungen:

Es handelt sich offensichtlich um das gleiche Patent (genauer die Auslandsanmeldung) wie das von Nicolle!

Am 17. Juli 1847 erhielt Nicolle, der hier als Fabrikant von Bleistifthaltern bezeichnet wird, ein Patent (15 Jahre Gültigkeit) "Application de tablettes en verre aux portefeuilles", was ich nicht wirklich übersetzen kann ("Glastafeln für Brieftaschen" ??), welches er am 8. Mai 1847 anmeldete. Am 5. August 1848 erhielt er ein weiteres Patent zu einem Bleistifthalter ("pour un porte-crayon simplifié"), am 24. Mai 1849 erhielt er ein weiteres Patent nicht näher definierbaren Inhaltes "pour un buse droit et cintré en acier aimantin pour hommes et pour femmes".

In einem Branchenbuch aus dem Jahr 1847 findet sich folgende Eintragung:

Hier wird also mitgeteilt, dass es sowohl ein französisches, als auch englisches Patent auf einen "porte-crayon dit taille-crayon" gibt. Die Eintragung scheint auch zu beweisen, dass die Spitzvorrichtung auch tatsächlich verkauft wurde. Auch 1850 ist er unter der Adresse weiter als "fab. de crayons", also als Schreibstifthersteller eingetragen, allerdings gibt es keine Eintragung eines "Taille-crayon".


? 1847 - Rouget de Lisle (Frankreich)

Thomas-Amédée Rouget de l'Isle Paris, rue de Tracy, n° 8

Es gab in Frankreich mit Claude Joseph Rouget genannt de Lisle oder de l’Isle einen sehr bekannten Träger dieses Familiennamens. Dieser ist der Dichter und Komponist der franz. Nationalhymne, der berühmten Marseillaise und war wahrschienlich mit dem Bliestiftspitzer de Lisle verwandt. Weitere Informationen gibt es derzeit nicht.


1847 - Joseph-Charles Micouin (Frankreich)

Am 27. März 1847 wurde für Joseph-Charles Micouin, wohnhaft Rue du Temple, N 69, Paris, "balancier-ajusteur" ein Patent für einen "taille-crayon" (also einen Bleistiftspitzer) erteilt. Die Anmeldung erfolgte am 19. Februar 1847, die Gültigkeit betrug 15 Jahre. Einer Eintragung in einem Branchenbuch in diesem Jahr zufolge war er Hersteller von Waagen und Kupfergewichten:

So sieht das Haus unter dieser Nummer heute aus:

Hier die Patentzeichnungen aus dem Originalpatent:

Bereits am 21. Oktober 1844 erhielt er ein auf 5 Jahre bemessenes Patent für "nouveau genre de bec de lampe à gaz". 1855 meldete er wieder ein Patent an, wohnte dann auf der Rue des Filles-du-Calvaire Nr. 6. Nach einer anderen Quelle könnte er etwa in diesem Jahr auch in der Portefoin Nr. 10 gewohnt haben, später 1862 dann in der Nummer 3. Auch 1864 wird diese Hausnummer genannt mit der Bezeichnung "fabricant de balances". Diese ganzen Adressen liegen alle nahe beieinander im 3.  Arrondissement (nahe Marais-Viertel).

Irgendwelche weitere Informationen zu dem Spitzer gibt es nicht.


1847 - Thérèse-Constant Thierry des Estivaux (Frankreich)

Am 16. April 1847 meldete Thierry des Estivaux, wohnhaft Avenue Sainte-Marie-du Roule Nr. 42 bis., Paris ein Patent mit dem Titel "Instrument dit taille-crayon" an, was am 30. Juni 1847 für 15 Jahre erteilt wurde. Ebenso meldete er dieses in Belgien an, wo es ab 27. Oktober für 14 Jahre gültig war.

Hier die Zeichnung aus dem französischen Patent:

Bereits am 21. April 1846 meldete Estivaux in Frankreich ein (auch 15 Jahre laufendes) Patent "pour un propulseur palmipède propre à la navigation maritime et fluviale", was am 7. Juli diesen Jahres herausgegeben wurde. Seine Adresse wurde damals mit "chez ARMENGAUD jeune, 6, rue des Filles-du-Calvaire" in Paris angegeben. Dabei handelte es sich wohl um einen neuartigen/verbesserten  Propellerantrieb für die Küsten- und Binnenschifffahrt.

Hier eine Zeichnungsseite aus dem Originalpatent:

Am 20. April 1847 wurde diesem Patent noch eine Ergänzung hinzugefügt.

Am 29. Januar 1848 meldete Estivaux gemeinsam mit William-Williams Hope ein Patent mit dem Titel "Système de fabrication de bouchons de liège" an, was dann am 13. Mai herausgegeben wurde. Es geht dabei um eine Neuerung bei der Herstellung von Kronkorken. Am 29. Mai 1848 wurde von ihm noch eine Ergänzung hinzugefügt, welche dann später am 14. August erschien.

Aus dem Leben von Thierry des Estivaux:

Constant de Thierry des Estivaux wurde 1797 in Paris als ältester Sohn des Colonel Gaspard de Thierry, Baron des Estivaux in Lorraine und Romarine, Comtesse de Faletans et Digoine geboren. 1814 nahm er an der Verteidgung von Besancon und 1815 im Alter von nur 17 Jahren an der Seite seines Vaters an der Schlacht von Waterloo teil.... Constant starb im Jahre 1871.

Thierry des Estivaux gilt schon lange (z. B. in einem deutschen Buch von 1941) als Erfinder des Handspitzers, manchmal wird er schlechthin als Erfinder des Bleistiftspitzers bezeichnet. Angesichts der vielen vorgenannten (gerade auch französischen) Erfinder ist dies wohl übertrieben. Es ist bisher auch unbekannt, ob der  Bleistiftspitzer wirklich produziert wurde, ganz abgesehen von einem tatsächlich erhaltenen Exemplar.


1850 - A. E. Loradoux (England)

Am 23. April 1850 meldete A. E. Loradoux, Calthorpe-street (London ?), in England ein Design zu einem "Pencil Cutter" in England an. Weitere Informationen zu dem Anspitzer gibt es nicht.

Möglicherweise handelt es sich um Auguste Edouard Loradoux Bellford, der etwa ab 1852 bis 1854 16, Castle street in Holborn und ab 1855 dann 32, Essex-street, Strand, London wohnte. Er arbeitete als "Patent agent" und erhielt allein 1854 über 40 Patente, als Beispiele seiner Anmeldungen seien genannt: 8. Dezember 1853 "Improved stove or kiln"; 26. Juli 1854 "Improvements in Soldering Metals". Sein Name und auch eine Notiz aus dem Jahr 1855 ("but now at Paris, France") legt sehr nahe, daß er Patente von Franzosen anmeldete. Der eigentliche Erfinder des oben erwähnten Patentdesigns wird nicht genannt.

Weiter geht es hier mit der Geschichte des Bleistiftspitzens (Jahre 1851 - 1860)!

Eine Seite informiert über die Spitzmaschinen der amerikanischen Firmen Everett Specialty und Cushman & Denison Mfg. Co..

Außerdem sind folgende Seiten über verschiedene Spitzmaschinen aus Deutschland online:

Avanti, Simplicia / Clou / Iduna, Jowei, Ergo / Ergo Extra, Optimax, Fram, Stern, Constanta, Potz-Blitz, Oryx und Quail.

Pencil sharpener - Bleistiftspitzer - Taille-Crayon - Pencil pointer - Bleistiftspitzmaschine - Sacapuntas -  Temperamatite - Apara-lápis - Puntenslijper -

Apontador - Slip - Spisser - Blyantspidser - Affilacoltelli - Blyertsspetsare - Pennvässare - ξύστρα -  Temperówka - Ořezávátko - Strúhadlo - Ostra - Ascuțitoare - точило -

Oстрилка - シャープナー- מְחַדֵד